Saturday, June 4, 2011

With God all things are possible!

My journey took me from contemplating and considering the Lords command to love your enemies to deliberately taking steps towards walking free from offense.  Interesting thing happened.  I began to discover that offense is every where and this is not going to be easy.  If I allow myself to take or pick up offense then I have to justify my position and uphold my judgements in order to avoid being wrong. In my mind I think well he/she deserves this or that to happen because they messed up or they did this wrong or that wrong.  If you think about it in order for us to stay upset or angry at any given situation.  We have to continually relive the offense and justify our judgements regarding the actions of the offender being absolutely wrong and then usually we assign a negative motive or premeditation to the act or deed that then adds a greater sting to the offense.

Have you ever withheld love or kindness due to an offense.  Have you ever wasted days, weeks or even years giving someone the silent treatment because of offense.  I dare not speak of a vengeful acts that may have been carried out due to the pain and suffering you may have experienced.

I ask that you prayerfully read the following scripture and consider my words.  This is not an exhaustive look at this subject.  It is simply one mans self discovery during his quest to grow in faith and love for God.

Here is what the Lord began to show me.  

Matthew 18:21 Then Peter came to Him and said, “Lord, how often shall my brother sin against me, and I forgive him? Up to seven times?” 
22 Jesus said to him, “I do not say to you, up to seven times, but up to seventy times seven. 23 Therefore the kingdom of heaven is like a certain king who wanted to settle accounts with his servants. 24 And when he had begun to settle accounts, one was brought to him who owed him ten thousand talents. 25 But as he was not able to pay, his master commanded that he be sold, with his wife and children and all that he had, and that payment be made. 26 The servant therefore fell down before him, saying, ‘Master, have patience with me, and I will pay you all.’ 27 Then the master of that servant was moved with compassion, released him, and forgave him the debt. 
28 “But that servant went out and found one of his fellow servants who owed him a hundred denarii; and he laid hands on him and took him by the throat, saying, ‘Pay me what you owe!’29 So his fellow servant fell down at his feet[d] and begged him, saying, ‘Have patience with me, and I will pay you all.’[e] 30 And he would not, but went and threw him into prison till he should pay the debt. 31 So when his fellow servants saw what had been done, they were very grieved, and came and told their master all that had been done. 32 Then his master, after he had called him, said to him, ‘You wicked servant! I forgave you all that debt because you begged me. 33 Should you not also have had compassion on your fellow servant, just as I had pity on you?’ 34And his master was angry, and delivered him to the torturers until he should pay all that was due to him. 
35 “So My heavenly Father also will do to you if each of you, from his heart, does not forgive his brother his trespasses.”




This story really messed me up because the Lord used it to reveal the brokenness in my own life.  I have been forgiven and healed of so much. Needless to say when I started to put focus on this endeavor, I became more aware that without God's help I will not be successful.
I have no right to hold another person in contempt.  Somewhere we loose sight of how far we have come since the Lord redeemed us. Then almost with an air of self righteousness we look down on the flaws or shortcomings of others.  I know that there are horrible things that are done in darkness and for the life of me I pray you never have to experience such evil.  I am in no way making light of the pain or hurt you may have experienced. I am not just giving a shallow suggestion to simply believe the bible reference.  If you are ever going to be free and healed of the pain that offenses create then you must invite the Lord to help you forgive and release you from the poison infecting your heart.  When the Lord commands us to love our enemies, it is because he has provided the power by His Spirit to tap into His divine nature and from that new nature to walk not as mere men but as sons/daughters of God.
  


The scripture above reveals this wicked pattern and forces us to look inward before we impose our judgements on another. If we choose not to, then we often times bring upon ourselves the self determined judgement that we pronounce on others.


It is impossible for us to continue or maintain communion with God, if our hearts are filled with malice or hatred.


I will remind you of this: "With God all things are possible."


Bye for now.... More to come.


Love ya!


Ed










No comments:

Post a Comment