Sunday, June 12, 2011

Forgive us our debts; as we forgive our debtors.


Well, by now I am sure you realize that I am no great writer.  However, I find that blogging allows me to ponder things God speaks to me about.  I have been told for many years to write things down as God shows me.  I have been putting it off for a very long time.

I am certain if you have been following my blog that you get the picture that we are all exposed to offenses.  Scripture tells us that if any of us offends not that we are a perfect man/woman.  Last time I checked I couldn’t walk on water nor multiply fish and bread. Lol!  Part of the solution is to be aware of offenses, “know thy self.”  If offended recognize it, isolate it and confess it to the Lord.  He is faithful to hear you and help you through the toughest of situations.

Going over this experience some of the things I gleaned from this time of teaching from the Lord is that if the offense is great enough, a man can justify the most evil of acts.  We often think that by our decision to hold grudge, or cut people out of our lives that we penalize them and we all know that they couldn’t hardly live with out us in their life.  Sounds a bit arrogant, that’s because it is.  Anger, wrath, envy, malice are all children of pride.  Again, I will repeat we have no right, to take matters into our own hands.  We were created by God, rebelled against God, received the bitter fruit of our disobedience; God sent His son and redeemed us by His own blood.  “You are not your own you were bought with a price.”  Jesus is Lord!  At least He is supposed to be.  When we act out of vengeance we put ourselves in the place of God.  And even if we didn’t physically hurt someone, Jesus said; that our anger is just as if we would have murdered the offender in our hearts, and instead of taking on the nature of God through His Spirit.  We take on the nature of Satan.  I recall the Lord actually telling a group of religious leaders who on the outside appeared to be holy and righteous, However, the Lord knowing their hearts exposed them as being posers and told them your father is not Abraham but the Devil.  Here I go preaching again. Lol!

About 7 years ago, I was in between jobs and a friend of mine was a bus driver for Denver RTD.  He was going to make some extra money moonlighting as a taxi driver or you might know them as a Cabby.  Anyway, I began driving a cab for about 6 or 7 months.  This was a very dark time in my life.  I was in ministry, I loved the Lord, but I had areas that I had not surrendered to Him.  Anyway, that is another blog for another time. 
I was at a men’s breakfast meeting at our church.  I had this conversation with one of the pastors that was speaking at the meeting.  We exchanged regular small talk, what do you do for a living?  Blah,blah, blah… I told him I was working as a cabby.  His ears perked up because he was the proud owner of a limousine service.  Well, he must have known a sucker when he met one. I imagine he saw the look on my face when I began to drill him about the Limo business.  I am sure you know where this this story is going.  I took out a loan and traded my truck for a rusted out, non operating limo service with no clients.  He absolutely, swindled me.  Only, my heart and the condition of my life was actually the greater culprit.

I was devastated, he was a notary so the agreement was iron clad when I told him I wasn’t going to pay, he placed a lien on my house.  My wife just about killed me when I drove up in this 20 year old Limo that was just a piece of crap.  I still remember her words… WHAT DID YOU DO!!!!

My heart dropped and I got that feeling in my stomach like I was going to be sick.  Knowing that I was not going to go through the hassle of litigation.  I got the cashiers check and took the keys to the truck over to his house.  I looked him square in His eyes and told him God be the judge over you and me.  You know that what you are doing is evil.  Handed him the money and the keys.  Tears filled my eyes as I drove off.

Being the eternal optimist that I was I remember telling my wife, that this was a $5000 lesson and that now I know what not to do in the future.  My wife is such a good woman because she saw the pain I was I was going through and supported me through it.   However, the pain of having this huge inoperable vehicle in my driveway was more than I could bear.  It was like someone plunging a huge knife into my gut every evening when I came home. 

Two months later, I called a buddy of mine and had him tow it off my property. I told him I don’t care what you do with it just take it away.

Life was getting back to normal, we were looking to refinance our home and the mortgage broker told me that when he did the title work on the house for the refi that their was a Mechanics Lien on the house.  I remembered and relived this whole experience again.  I had to go see him and have him remove the lien and sign a paper indicating that it had been satisfied. 

I knocked on his door on sunny Denver morning, I didn’t know what to expect.  He answers the door in a wheel chair and I discovered that he was in a car accident, his father died and his wife and son had left him.  I was blown away! My heart broke with compassion, because I knew that God used this situation to deal with the brokenness in both of our lives.  He signed the papers and that was the last I saw of him.

Remember, I told you that this whole journey started with God telling me to love your enemies.  Well my wife and I were preparing to start church and Four Square the organization we are licensed through was having an event similar to a community carnival to bless the community and to celebrate the new churches that were going to launch.

While at the event, the MC called all the church planting pastors up to announce them to the community.  I looked across the way and who do you think I saw being announced as one of the new church plants in Denver.  You got it.  Our eyes met and he looked as though he had seen a ghost.  It had been over 7 years since I had last seen him.  My heart was overwhelmed with a sense of amazement because it was like this was the completion of a lesson the Lord personally walked me through over a 3 Month period.  Immediately, I thought of the scripture reference to love your enemies and pray for those that use you. 
We had a booth at the event and this pastor, his wife and son came over to where my wife and I were we were at very humbly with his head in a submissive position not knowing what to expect.  I looked him square in the eyes and greeted him warmly, shook his hand as to say; it is alright.  He returned the gesture with a book and hug.  We didn’t continue in discourse we didn’t even talk the rest of the event.  For the first time I knew what the Lord meant when he said;

Matt 5:43 “You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall love your neighbor[g] and hate your enemy.’ 44 But I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who spitefully use you and persecute you,[h] 45 that you may be sons of your Father in heaven

My heart was filled with a sense of AWE.  My wife didn’t remember him, I told her take a mental picture and I will tell you what happened later.  I wasn’t sure how she would react.  When I got home I sat down with my wife and went over this teaching and she actually laughed with me as I shared this story with her.  God gave me the perfect partner in life. 

As we grow in love, we grow in God.  Salvation is the greek word Sozo it is a progressive act of being saved.  It is a personal relationship with Jesus Christ.  Sorry to simplify this definition to this level but often times we make it so hard.

John 17:3 And this is eternal life, that they may know You, the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom You have sent.

When you realize how great of a salvation God has provided for us and how he called us to partner with Him to redeem all of mankind.  When you begin to see the glorious life you are destined to have and become as we live through Him.  Don’t leave it up to someone else to define your life for you.  Ask God to reveal to you why he created you and what you were designed to be.

Bye for now………..


Love ya

Ed 

No comments:

Post a Comment